Home » Blog » What Are the Licence to Alterations Procedures?

What Are the Licence to Alterations Procedures?

Dec 24, 2021

In this week’s property surveying blog post topic, we are going to be discussing Licence for Alterations procedures.

A Licence for Alterations, also commonly known as a Licence to Alter, is required when a leasehold owner of a property, intends to undertake material changes, alterations and construction works to their property.

Their lease, and the terms therein, will require that they obtain their freeholders written and formal consent in advance of the proposed works commencing on site.

This consent, is commonly in the form of a Licence for Alterations, or Licence to Alter.

Do my works require a Licence to Alter, or Licence for Alterations?

This is an incredibly common question that we find ourselves asked here at Stokemont. There is no off the shelf answer, as it generally depends on the terms of your lease, how enabling it is, and also the works that you are intending to do.

However, we thought we would take a swing at it as best we can, to hopefully give you a bit more advice.

Structural Alterations

Structural alterations are almost certainly going to be covered by Licence to Alter process and procedures, and generally speaking these will apply if you make any structural alterations to the demise and layout of your property.

Changing Windows

Changing windows will also likely fall within the realm of the Licence for Alterations procedures, and will see landlords consent having to be obtained in advance of commencing these types of work.

Floor Covering Changes

Floor covering changes are also commonly dealt with via Licence for Alterations procedures, however it is worth noting, that this only tends to apply if soft coverings, such as carpets, are being changed to hard coverings, such as timber, laminate, or tiles.

Changing Wet Areas or Adding Wet Areas

Wet areas such as en-suite bathrooms, shower rooms, utility rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms are all deemed to be covered by the Licence for Alterations procedures, and will generally require you to obtain freeholders written consent in advance of undertaking these works.

Minor Construction Works

This definition is far and wide, and ultimately could be a combination of minor works as discussed above, however it is worth noting that there are a significant amount of minor works that will fall outside the realm of a Licence to Alter and Licence for Alterations procedures.

Major Works

Major works are relatively self-explanatory really, and ultimately would be any major construction work being undertaken to the property.

How can I get a Licence for Alterations?

The first step is to speak to a qualified and experienced surveyor, they will be able to advise you exactly what needs to be done.

Here at Stokemont we would advise giving us a call, so that our team  of qualified and experienced surveyors can discuss the Licence to Alter procedures with you sooner rather than later, to ensure that you are well abreast of your leasehold requirements.

If you would like to discuss Licence to Alter procedures with us, give us a call today and we will be happy to assist you.

Boundary Dispute Basics

Boundary Dispute Basics

Thank you for clicking on today’s informative Property Surveying blog post topic. Through today’s post we are going to be looking at boundary disputes.  Boundary disputes, boundary determination and boundary surveying is one of the most common and typical...

read more
Third Surveyor Referral Fact Sheet

Third Surveyor Referral Fact Sheet

Thank you for clicking on today’s property blog.  Through today’s informative blog post we are going to be discussing party wall surveying procedures. In particular, we are going to be looking at the protocols and procedures that come into play when a third...

read more